Re: BUG: org cycling regression when using the legacy folding style over

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: BUG: org cycling regression when using the legacy folding style overlays
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 11:20:33 +0800

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

> I read the ORG-NEWS:
>
>> The new folding backend breaks some of the =outline-*= functions that
>> rely on the details of visibility state implementation in
>> =outline.el=.  The old Org folding backend was compatible with the
>> =outline.el= folding, but it is not the case anymore with the new
>> backend.  From now on, using =outline-*= functions is strongly
>> discouraged when working with Org files.
>
> It says that the new folding backend won't work with outline.el. But
> in this case, I am still using the old backend.
> Are the outline.el functions expected to stop working for the old backend too?

org-fold-core-style 'overlays is not enabling the old backend, but
rather enables legacy support in the new backend.

Strictly speaking, I can simplify the 'overlays option to work exactly
like the old backend, but it will also require changing some other
defaults, which is awkward. Also, it will discourage non-complying
packages to keep using outline.el and instead ask users to change to the
old backend. I would prefer to avoid this.

'overlays option is intended to be a emergency solution for people
experiencing major issues with the new folding mechanism. It will be
eventually removed.

Best,
Ihor