Re: # Comments export

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: # Comments export
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 07:49:53 +1000

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

> Eric S Fraga writes:
>
>> I use drawers for this and then have specific processing of different
>> types of drawers, depending on target.
>>
>> For instance, I might have :note: drawers (similar to inline tasks) with
>> the following processing (for odt export; similar for LaTeX):

>> (setq-local org-odt-format-drawer-function
>>             (lambda (name contents)
>>               (if (string= name "note")
>>                   (progn
>>                     (format "<text:span
>> text:background=\"#FFFF00\">%s</text:span>" contents)))))
>>
>> (progn because I used to do more in there...)
>
> I use a special type of footnote, which is exported to LaTeX as pdf
> annotations (with the pdfannotate package) and to odt as comments. The
> use of footnotes allows me to put comments and annotations within the
> paragraph:
>
> https://list.orgmode.org/877de55cjf.fsf@posteo.net/

I think this is a much better solution. I don't like the idea of adding
the ability to export comments - the whole point of comments are to
provide content which is NOT exported. If you find you have content as
comments which you then want to export, my view would be that these are
not 'comments' in the sense of org-mode. These sound like notes or
annotations and there is likely a better approach than treating them as
org comments. Org comments are probably best thought of as comments
about org content and not org content per se. If you want your comments
to appear as part of yhour exported data at some level, they are no
longer comments, but rather a different class of content and should be
categorised using one of the org content block types or a footnote.