Re: About opening issues vs email [Was: About 'inline special blocks']

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: About opening issues vs email [Was: About 'inline special blocks']
Date: Fri, 27 May 2022 12:24:11 +0800

Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:

>> I reached out to him on e-mail, if he doesn't reply there I'll create
>> the issue. Thanks!
>
> Just saying this based on my personal preference. I would rather
> prefer that people directly open an issue on Github than emailing me
> personally.
>
> Reasons:
>
> - Issues section is there for a reason. If the repo owner did not like
> people opening Issues, they would disable that section.

I guess it depends. Some people may not prefer public discussions. At
least not always. The question here is not exactly an issue to be fixed,
but something much more complex.

> - Conversations and discussions are better formatted and readable in
> the issue threads.

How so? No branching of replies (fixed linear layout). No attachments.
Often yet another flavor of markdown.

> - If the feature is implemented, I like to link that commit or PR to
> that issue so that the entire history and reasoning behind a feature
> addition (esp. if it's a breaking one) can be followed through
> hyperlinks from the commit log to the issue thread.

You can equally link a public email exchange.

Best,
Ihor