Allow Currency Symbols and Grouping Commas in Table Numbers

From: Daniel E. Doherty
Subject: Allow Currency Symbols and Grouping Commas in Table Numbers
Date: Thu, 26 May 2022 14:40:56 -0500

I often use org table to perform calculations and export those tables
to LaTeX documents.

One thing I always wished I could do with org tables is get it to
allow numbers to be decorated with currency symbols, the dollar, euro,
yen, etc., as well as grouping commas so that the tables are more
suitable for presentation.

I can see from the code that there is a function,
org-table--number-for-summing, that converts text into numbers for
summing, and it would seem it could strip out leading or trailing
currency symbols as well as grouping commas before submitting numbers
to calc for calculation.

Consider this a feature request.  I think it would be a very popular
enhancement to org.

Regards,

Daniel E. Doherty
Law Offices of Daniel E. Doherty