Re: Question Regarding Easier Issues To Help With

From: Samuel Banya
Subject: Re: Question Regarding Easier Issues To Help With
Date: Tue, 24 May 2022 20:58:38 -0400

Thanks Tim and Ihor, that really puts the "What" to focus on into perspective.

I put this in my Org notes and will take a look at the items you mentioned.

Its kind of funny since all I do at work doing tech support is reproducing stuff for Devs, but I guess that works in this context too. I just didn't want to have to do more tech support, and wanted to get into the nitty gritty of Elisp to be honest. More so, to get Dev experience so that I can finally move away from tech support and into a Dev job later (after I finish my web dev bootcamp first though).

However, both posts are really really good, and I will use them to my advantage when I get some free time on the weekend to gauge what issues are easiest to tackle.

Most likely, I will bother the mailing list when I get a shortlist of like 3 of them if I come across any issues though I'll try to find what I can given the codebase itself first.

Thanks so much again for this, gives me the motivation to really do it.

Sincerely,

Sam

On Mon, May 23, 2022, at 5:03 AM, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
"Samuel Banya" <sbanya@fastmail.com> writes:

> Hey there,
> So I took a look at the following link recently as I finally have had time again over the past couple of months since I've been dealing with a lot of personal family stuff, and got some time back again.

Thanks for your interest in contributing!

> Can anyone lead me in the right direction for some beginner tier issues to take a look at, as well as hand holding for any workflow on how to actually work on the related issue / source code accordingly:
https://updates.orgmode.org/#help

Here is a list that might be helpful. Not all the issues are easy there.
Mostly, something I quickly judged as easy/important or unanswered.
Also, there are not only bug reports, but also patches that someone
needs to test with various edge cases.

https://orgmode.org/list/UT6T2iOXtO0dMWc5QA4ZPbG0yh-4wOprgsHAe91c_wf7DwDKdLoJilTWK50rJuz8cNxtwrlTc_CpQIGBpQixTjDPnCJfq-WQKhk4oFLed_I=@protonmail.com
https://orgmode.org/list/TY2PR0101MB3693187B93665E208637F6C8DA5E9@TY2PR0101MB3693.apcprd01.prod.exchangelabs.com
https://orgmode.org/list/CA+3amheHg_tgCMZ1mMy0hpsaW3hQOKPNFcJbOAOzZAxnJCZg2Q@mail.gmail.com
https://orgmode.org/list/87imnypcvk.fsf@iki.fi
https://orgmode.org/list/87mu3djf4u.fsf@gmail.com
https://orgmode.org/list/87woky8sam.fsf@norang.ca
https://orgmode.org/list/CAJcAo8t_SFaSckS4FovnBT5rRsivFR1z15Jemh2rgONZ_ha5KA@mail.gmail.com
https://orgmode.org/list/LotcjAv--3-1@keemail.me
https://orgmode.org/list/87sfxiw2jp.fsf@posteo.net
https://orgmode.org/list/dd0ae51d-7d56-0ff6-5eb1-3786464adfe3@arfer.net
https://orgmode.org/list/5a1cb629-8437-41f5-fd75-674c949eaf5e@gmx.at
https://orgmode.org/list/CAOn=hbeFyj7eDW6GsoBQGKOFM65Bx1Cdc_inxaiSDpV74KwumQ@mail.gmail.com
https://orgmode.org/list/87v91vle4u.fsf@gmail.com
https://orgmode.org/list/87wnl53cq4.fsf@localhost
https://orgmode.org/list/so2fh1$10kj$1@ciao.gmane.io
https://orgmode.org/list/041ca43d-2efb-db1e-76ab-7c15af088650@posteo.eu
https://orgmode.org/list/CAJr1M6d=0QTyNPWaBwbnciq2fM4mCYBRXOeR_hR-vA4Tj1kN5A@mail.gmail.com
https://orgmode.org/list/20171014123248.51568eec@Tourifreet
https://orgmode.org/list/PAXPR06MB7760DA356C7C27045BEB64F6C6449@PAXPR06MB7760.eurprd06.prod.outlook.com
https://orgmode.org/list/87a6gdaa9i.fsf@tsdye.online
https://orgmode.org/list/CAB14nk88CyiHdgKdQzxhnjyekp_BzZ_1J73p-y2FGSk_7jTymQ@mail.gmail.com
https://orgmode.org/list/CAFyQvY3mxi4DRTS+W-AX7bFELVujqH4DODEYPy3hyGRRuMEPSw@mail.gmail.com
https://orgmode.org/list/87mthrtb5u.fsf@alphaville.usersys.redhat.com

> I ask because I'm a bit of an Elisp newbie. I'm assuming the first step is to try to reproduce the bug given the user's info, and then attempt to look at the codebase to see what might be causing it?

Without elisp, you can
1. Try to reproduce bugs and give detailed instructions for maintainers
   to fix (it is much easier to fix bugs with detailed steps how to
   reproduce them)
2. Try submitted patches and see if they work on your customized Org.
   Then, report any issues
3. Monitor websites like stackexchange and reddit and transfer bug
   reports from there to the mailing list.

Also, I recorded a video explaining how to reproduce Org mode bugs in
https://open.tube/videos/watch/4d819114-43bf-42df-af94-f94fc53dd0d9

Best,
Ihor