Re: [BUG] - Statistics cookie is part of the org heading title

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] - Statistics cookie is part of the org heading title
Date: Wed, 04 May 2022 19:56:17 +0800

Ignacio Casso <ignaciocasso@hotmail.com> writes:

> I replied to this bug report yesterday via the "reply via email to"
> button in
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-05/msg00058.html,
> assuming it would send it to the org-mode list, but now I see that it
> was only sent to Fabian.

It is not directly related to Org, though indeed annoying. I reported
this unexpected behaviour to mailman@gnu.org

> Still, I think it might be interesting to compare this topic with the
> one I linked in my reply,
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-03/msg00293.html,
> which it's basically the same bug report but about COMMENT keywords. In
> that regard, I have tested that org-capture targets do work regardless
> of statistcs cookies. Could not something equivalent be done so that
> they also work regardless of COMMENT keywords? Feel free to reply in
> that other thread if you feel this is off-topic here.

> This bug is related with the issue I reported in
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2022-03/msg00293.html. The
> problem is that `org-heading-components' uses
> `org-complex-heading-regexp', which does not consider statistics
> cookies, and neither COMMENT keywords as I reported. I think it should be
> updated to consider both.

Note that org-complex-heading-regexp-format does consider statistics
cookies, but only at the beginning/end of the headline title.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to provide generic printf format to
match a headline title with arbitrary statistics cookies inserted in the
middle of it.

As for your other report, it is a hard one - org-complex-heading-regexp
is hard to modify because we guarantee certain match groups and its hard
to fit COMMENT in there without breaking backward-compatibility.

I generally dislike the idea of the available plethora of analytic
regexps with numbered match groups. I am currently working on
generalised Org element matcher that provides named groups for arbitrary
Org syntax elements, including headlines.

Best,
Ihor