Re: [BUG] Exporting italic link with bang inside to html fails to parse

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: [BUG] Exporting italic link with bang inside to html fails to parse the link [9.5.2 (N/A @ /gnu/store/89yvbijwnvsbpa5h33mvbgh1gy9w30n2-emacs-org-9.5.2/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-9.5.2/)]
Date: Mon, 2 May 2022 19:32:50 +0700

On 01/05/2022 10:27, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

https://list.orgmode.org/87pmtqp79s.fsf@web.de/T/#u

Then the older bug may be cancelled as a duplicate.

Not sure. Even a fix to org-insert-link would not solve the problem with
unexpected export if the link is typed in manually. So, I'd rather keep
both the reports for the time being.

I would not insist any more. My point was: the same reporter, the same case of punctuation after slash in link target, the same idea to make `org-insert-link' more smart.

Or someone may go through all the related bugs and create a single giant
discussion to avoid scattering things around. In my notes, I have at
least 6 discussions related to edge cases of Org markup.

I have some notes as well. Though I think it should be either FAQ entry or a separate document describing limitations of the parser (and test data set for the parser).

I think it is already kind of official. At least, we directly suggest
using zero width spaces in
https://orgmode.org/manual/Escape-Character.html#Escape-Character

Things are more complicated. Without a filter (that it is not mentioned) it may cause undesired line breaks (the primary purpose of zero width space). Fortunately PdfLaTeX ignores them.

Tom Gillespie. On zero width spaces and Org syntax. Fri, 3 Dec 2021 20:04:28 -0800. https://list.orgmode.org/CA+G3_PM4cxHa8bU+3QG541UiOauLNAQFZQu-+UKczx3itOeTHg@mail.gmail.com

suggested word joiner U+2060, but this character is not a space for regular expressions. I experimented a bit, but I can not provide a summary yet, my notes are in early draft stage. the "Escape Character" section should be expanded to discuss more use cases.

In the case of links I still prefer breaking emphasis at the link
borders. `org-insert-link' may check after inserting the markup if it
is parsed as a link and add more markers if necessary.
      /inter/[[https://orgmode.org/?oops=1][/word/]]/link/

I do not like this idea. It is fine when inserting a link into existing
emphasis, but what if an emphasis is applied around link later? We would
also need to update org-emphasize and still have an issue because many
users simply type the emphasis markers manually.

Emphasis around other inline objects anyway can be easily broken. Try to make the whole string bold:

    begin =middle* verbatim= end

It may be useful to add a checker to `org-lint' that issues warnings for confusing link targets.

I believe that zero width space does not belong to "plain text markup" since it is invisible (at least by default). I see that printable ASCII characters are already in use, but I still think that U+200B should be used as rare as possible.

You are aware of my opinion now and I do not need more. You are free to ignore it since I can not offer anything better.