Ordered list items and the point

From: c . buhtz
Subject: Ordered list items and the point
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2022 12:13:53 +0000

This is about https://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-syntax.html#Plain_Lists

Comparing the syntax description and the real world behaviour of my Emacs 27 with org from yesterday it seems to me that the syntax description is not correct.

I cite "Plain Lists" section:
"If first item in a plain list has a COUNTER in its BULLET, the plain list will be an “ordered plain-list”."

This is not true in many ways because in the section "Items" a COUNTER is described as
"Either a number or a single letter (a-z)."

An ordered list item need to have a point after its digit. Correct is "1. item"; incorrect is "1 item". As an alternative to the "." an ")" is allowed also.

A letter is not a COUNTER no matter if there is an "." or ")" after it. An org-buffer and org-html-export-as-html does not recognize this as a list item.

Do I miss something? Are there any other characters that need to considered?