Re: [BUG] Documentation errata [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-25-gaf6f12 @ /usr/s

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Documentation errata [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-25-gaf6f12 @ /usr/share/emacs/28.1/lisp/org/)]
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2022 22:19:06 +0800

Alessandro Bertulli <alessandro.bertulli96@gmail.com> writes:

> I think this is a typo to be corrected in the Manual. Is this the right
> place to make such a suggestion?
>
> Thanks in advance to all and I apologize if this is not the right way to
> submit an errata.

Thanks for the suggestion! Emailing Org mailing list is the right way to
submit errata and other suggestions/questions.

> this is not actually a bug regarding the code, but the documentation. In
> the Manual, when talking about CDLaTeX mode (specifically at
> https://orgmode.org/manual/CDLaTeX-mode.html), it is said, regarding the
> single quote:
>> Pressing the single-quote followed by another character modifies the
>> symbol before point with an accent or a font.
>
> However, in my setup it's the other way around: first you digit a
> character, and THEN you press the single quote. This is also reflected, for
> what I saw, in the docstring of the function cdlatex-math-modify, which
> says "Modify PREVIOUS char/group/macro with math accent/style." (my
> emphasis).

You were clearly confused by the manual text, so you may certainly be
improved. However, I do not see any error in the text you pointed to.

To make use of org-cdlatex-math-modify (bound to "'") you generally do
the following:

1. Type a math symbol
2. Type ' followed by another character
3. org-cdlatex modifies the symbol from (1) according to the character
   you typed in (2).

Example:

1. \alpha
2. ' -
3. \bar{\alpha}

So, as the footnote suggests, you type the single-quote ' followed by
another character - to modify the symbol \alpha before quote.

"Modify PREVIOUS char/group/macro with math accent/style." does not
contradict the above.

If you have a suggestion how to improve the present text in the manual,
feel free to share it.

Best,
Ihor