Difference seen in org-version strings when built from git

From: Kaushal Modi
Subject: Difference seen in org-version strings when built from git
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2022 23:37:08 -0400

On Fri, Dec 17, 2021 at 11:34 PM Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kaushal Modi <kaushal.modi@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I actually run a wrapper script to update Org and that has all that:
> > I verified that at least the git hash was latest as of then:
> > release_9.5-364-g*de022e*
>
> Odd. Though the commit number is indeed correct.

I figured out this mystery ..

>From the org-fixup function in mk/org-fixup.el, I saw that the "git
describe .." command is used to derive the Org version with git hash.
That bakes in the last tag + number of commits seen since that tag in
the org-version returned string.

Turns out that I was simply doing a pull of the main branch and
building Org all this time. I wasn't fetching all the tags!

I saw the version as "release_9.5-364-gde022e". That meant that
"release_9.5" happened to be the last fetched tag in my local repo
back then.

Fix was simple.. I had to do "git fetch --all" before building Org.