Re: Fix M-j with default fill-prefix value

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Fix M-j with default fill-prefix value
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2022 13:13:32 +0800

Javier Olaechea <pirata@gmail.com> writes:

> org-comment-line-break-function does not handle fill-prefix being set to
> nil, which is the default value for fill-prefix. This means that pressing
> M-j inside an org-mode buffer in a vanilla installation of Emacs results in
> an error. From looking at other callers of
> insert-before-markers-and-inherit it is clear that a guard against
> fill-prefix being nil is missing.

I guess this is fine to fix the immediate error, but I do not see much
point in the whole org-comment-line-break function. AFAIU, it does not
even recognise whether we are inside comment or not. I just tried to use
the default comment-indent-new-line and it correctly indents paragraphs
and also comments. On the other hand, it does not indent item lists and
src-blocks.

Rather than applying this patch I would remove
org-comment-line-break-function alltogether. It will already be better
than the current state. Alternatively, it should be rewritten to take
into account current element context, similar to org-insert-comment.

Best,
Ihor