Re: org-cite styles don't allow * in them

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: org-cite styles don't allow * in them
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2022 10:06:06 +0200

Hello,

> "Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 3, 2022 at 5:07 PM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was looking into using latex commands as styles in org-cite, e.g.
>>>
>>> [cite/citet:@key]. That example works fine, but [cite/citet*:@key] is not
>>> allowed. Could that be allowed?
>>
>> I have no insight into the restriction, but I hope it can be removed.
>
> I do like the proposal in general, but I can see a potential issue for
> users. Constructs like "word*:" can be recognised as a valid bold
> emphasis ending. For example:

Note the issue already exists for italics and underline markers.

> Note that inserting zero-width space will not only be awkward here, but
> also breaks parser: e.g. [cite/cite<zwspace>t:@key] is not currently
> recognised as a citation.

I think the zero-width space can be inserted on the other side.

If there's no objection, I'll add asterisk character to the list of
allowed characters in citation style.

More generally, what other characters should be allowed ?

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou