Re: [BUG] Off-by-one error in width of Agenda window?

From: N. Jackson
Subject: Re: [BUG] Off-by-one error in width of Agenda window?
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2022 06:07:22 -0400

At 12:01 +0800 on Wednesday 2022-04-20, Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> "N. Jackson" <nljlistbox2@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> It seems that Org maybe should be using window-max-chars-per-line
>> rather than window-width.
>>
>> [Unfortunately w-m-c-p-l is not a drop in replacement for
>> window-width; it doesn't just fix the continuation glyph column
>> "bug", but it also adds additional functionality and has a different
>> signature.]
>
> Could you elaborate why window-max-chars-per-line cannot be used
> instead of window-width by Org? It appears to be strictly more
> accurate.

No, I'm not saying Org shouldn't use window-max-chars-per-line --
rather the opposite in fact. I'm just saying it maybe needs to be
thought about carefully first.

If it works as advertised it would seem to be the right choice as
long as Emacs bug #19395 exists (which looks like it will be
forever). My reservations about the function are only that its spec
is more ambitious than that of window-width (because it handles
faces) and the added complexity might potentially introduce more
corner cases where it doesn't work. But perhaps that's just the
paranoia of someone who thinks that text editors should restrict
themselves to monospaced fonts!

Regards,
N.