gnus links not followed, also avl-tree error (org-capture issues)

From: Tory S. Anderson
Subject: gnus links not followed, also avl-tree error (org-capture issues)
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 09:27:11 -0600

Org captures have become an intrinsic part of my daily workflow, but having
just upgaded emacs and orgmode, I suddenly find two errors (which clearly have
related causes, at least as far as the upgrades go).

First, when I create a new capture link from a Gnus message, it successfully
creates the same orgmode link it ever did, eg:
=[[gnus:mail.pro#DM5PR0801MB3799D6BD01F4178BA5F89EBBF6F39@DM5PR0801MB3799.namprd08.prod.outlook.com][Email
 from Bonnie Bingham: Fw: Moody approved to work]]
However, when attempting to FOLLOW that link it doesn't take me there, instead
prompting me with =No match - create this as a new heading? (y or n)
Second, most of my plain (just me typing entries) captures fail to complete at
all.

=org-capture: Capture abort: Wrong type argument: avl-tree-, nil
This is sending me back years to before I developed a nicely tuned org
workflow, and it isn't pleasant. Is there something I forgot to include, or
have there been breaking syntax changes somewhere?

Org mode version 9.5.2 (9.5.2-ga0755e @
/home/torysa/emacs/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)

GNU Emacs 28.1 (build 1, x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.33, cairo
version 1.16.0)

- Tory