Re: org-cite styles don't allow * in them

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: org-cite styles don't allow * in them
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2022 17:09:01 +0800

John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

>> In contrast, [cite/citet*:@key] is likely to be used fairly frequently
>> and has much higher chance to break things.
>

> We have had a citet*:key link (and all the other * variants) for a long
> time in org-ref, with no reported issues I can recall.

I respect your experience in this regard. If the discussed issue is
uncommon in practice, we may simply provide citet* and similar styles +
fallback citet*/ as an alias. The citet* will be the default while
citet*/ may be suggested, say, by org-lint if we add a new checker for
this.

P.S. Thinking more about org-lint, I imagine that it could be a good
practice to run org-lint before every export. For example, it can save
people from a common problem with handling broken links during export.

Best,
Ihor