How to handle strings with commas in macros?

From: William Denton
Subject: How to handle strings with commas in macros?
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2022 12:29:09 -0400 (EDT)

I'm using macros to format names in a LaTeX export, like so:

#+latex_header: \newcommand\m[1]{\textsc{#1}}
#+macro: m \m{$1}

Thus

{{{m(William Denton)}}}

becomes

\m{William Denton}

on export and LaTeX will format it. That works fine. But in an index of names, if I want

{{{m(Denton, William)}}}

then Org takes that as two arguments to the macro, and outputs

\m{Denton}

Is there a way to get around this?

Thanks,

Bill