Re: org-cite styles don't allow * in them

From: Bruce D'Arcus
Subject: Re: org-cite styles don't allow * in them
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 13:41:38 -0400

On Tue, Apr 5, 2022 at 12:11 PM John Kitchin <jkitchin@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Would you find it suitable to use [cite/command:pre @key post] in general?

I think it's a reasonable approach that would appeal to some users who
would treat org as a front-end to LaTeX primarily, and obviously
previous org-ref users, and that it's better than supporting this in a
parallel but incompatible syntax.

> For portability, I suppose there could be a defcustom mapping if one wanted
> to leverage the oc-csl library with pretty minimal effort.

Right.

I'm not sure what the precise right solution is, where, but something like that.

oc-biblatex, for example, has the new org-cite-biblatex-styles
defcustom, whose list entries look like:

("author"   "caps"      "Citeauthor*" nil         nil)

So with that, a oc-biblatex user can already do this presumably.

("Citeauthor*"   nil      "Citeauthor*" nil         nil)

But could also have a new org-ref processor with a simpler defcustom like:

("Citeauthor*" . "author/caps")

> I think two things need to be addressed to fix that. First is allowing a * in
> the style/variant section; there are probably 17 or so of these commands in
> natbib/biblatex. Second is fixing org-activate-link so that link activation
> functions don't get called on something like [cite/citet:@key]. This is
> necessary for org-ref and org-cite to co-exist, but also other packages or
> users might also define links like cite:.

+1

Bruce