Re: Drop defadvice from Org

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Drop defadvice from Org
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2022 19:59:54 -0400

> thank you.  just an idle question.  is it common/desirable for built
> in packages to use advice instead of hooks and such?

Desirable? no.
Common? kinda, yes, sadly.
It's usually good to look at the existing advice as "requests for hooks".
I haven't spent the energy to look at them this way, tho.
IOW patches welcome.

> also, merely as a plea from a user, I hope defadvice will stick around
> for all that user and non-built-in and abandoned code.

I definitely hope it will be gone before 2040, but it hasn't even been
declared officially obsolete yet (not even in `master`), so I think you
should be good at least until 2030.

        Stefan