org-cite styles as flags (idea)

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: org-cite styles as flags (idea)
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 19:34:37 +0700

Hi,

In a recent thread it was discussed that currently style selection is not always obvious:

John Kitchin. citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0.
Sun, 27 Mar 2022 13:00:40 -0400. m24k3jnq0k.fsf@andrew.cmu.edu">https://list.orgmode.org/m24k3jnq0k.fsf@andrew.cmu.edu

[cite/na/b:@key] or [cite/noauthor/bare:@key] to mean \citeyear{key}?

Why wouldn't it be \citetitle? or \citeurl, or \citedate? or even,
\citenum?

I get it, you can define [cite/noauthor/year:] or even [cite/year:] or
[cite/y:] and even [cite/citeyear:] to get the command in there, and
something for each of those other ones. Maybe even the documented
convention will change to some other potentially mnemonic form.

It seems, no backends uses hierarchy of substyles. Please, correct me, I may be wrong since I was BibTeX user and have not tried BibLaTeX.

I have an idea to consider each component started from slash as independent boolean flags (or constraints), so they can be reordered

   /author/bare/caps = /caps/bare/author

For citeproc.el it is a natural mapping since e.g. noauthor is implemented as a value of suppress-author parameter. For BibTeX commands it may be described as set of properties, so the code discards ones inconsistent with provided criteria. E.g. (:bare t :author nil :noauthor t :full nil) for \citeyear, :caps does not matter.

As at was suggested earlier, /year modifier existing in oc-csl should be implemented for oc-natbib.

[cite/author/noauthor:...] should generate a warning as an impossible combination and fallback to defaults.

The origin of the proposal is the following part of the discussion:

Bruce D'Arcus, Tue, 29 Mar 2022 12:14:03 -0400
CAF-FPGOCm5m5jZSOu-37V77Me76EWwg_xcd4d7k30ffXS0HyQg@mail.gmail.com">https://list.orgmode.org/CAF-FPGOCm5m5jZSOu-37V77Me76EWwg_xcd4d7k30ffXS0HyQg@mail.gmail.com