Re: [BUG] Agenda no longer works for timestamps inside properties drawer

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: [BUG] Agenda no longer works for timestamps inside properties drawer [9.5.2 (release_9.5.2-24-g668205 @ /home/ignacio/repos/emacs/lisp/org/)]
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 08:02:29 +1100

> Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> so i guess i am interested in the rationale.  example of ts [and text]
>> search being useful might be an example or ledger block that contains
>> ledger source, or something like that.  i can get why bare ts not
>> being matched inside links might be useful.
>>
>> otoh i can get why text [not ts] and isearch search inside of links
>> can be useful.
>>
>> idk if my intuitions match those of others.  i am partly trying to
>> think of what a newcomer might expect to work [and the simplicity of a
>> rule that he or she would have to remember in order to know what the
>> behavior will be].
>
> I can see your point. Simple timestamp matching by regexp disregarding
> timestamp objects might be useful. However, I do not think that matching
> should be via timestamps in such a case. Rather it should be even more
> lax - agenda may match anything date-looking (with or without brackets).
> A specialized regex agenda matcher with regex constructed using current
> agenda date.
>
> Maybe we can introduce a new agenda view? Or maybe a special agenda
> mode, similar to org-agenda-include-inactive-timestamps?

Perhaps I simply don't understand, but I fail to see the need for adding
such functionality. Org files are plain text and you can just use the
build-in or any of the add-on search tools to search for anything,
including timestamps or things which may look like timestamps.

The only time org needs to provide search functionality is when that
search does need to be done within the context of a date/time object.