Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: citations: org-cite vs org-ref 3.0
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2022 08:19:15 -0400

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 9:57 PM Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi John,

Thanks for your considered response.

When you contrast org-cite and org-ref, you say:

> With org-ref, bib(la)tex export is almost fully supported, and is easy,

I find this odd as org-cite supports bib(la)tex export, and rather easily.

┌────
│ #+bibliography: references.bib
│ #+cite_export: biblatex authortitle/authortitle-ibid

│ [cite:@key] etc.

│ #+print_bibliography:
└────

The limitation which I think is on your mind is that not all bib(la)tex commands
are supported, and not in the “usual” form. For instance, to get `pnotecite' one
would use `[cite/locators:]'. However, to get a 1-to-1 name mapping, you can just
customise `org-cite-biblatex-styles'. For instance, `parencite' is not currently
available, but if I just add `("parencite" nil "parencite" nil nil)' I can then do
`[cite/parencite:]' or if I replace the first `"parencite"' with `"paren"', just
`[cite/paren:]'.

Yes, of course I mean the citation commands.

A package could be created, say `org-cite-literal-biblatex' which is just a copy
of `oc-biblatex.el' with a different default `org-cite-biblatex-styles' and
`org-cite-biblatex-style-shortcuts' (or just sets those variables in
`org-cite-biblatex'). As far as I can tell this would provide exactly the
functionality you say org-cite can’t provide but org-ref does.

I wrote this package you suggest in org-ref-cite. In discussions during that development, it was clear the preference was on the more abstracted, and uniform syntax across backends cite commands in org-cite, and not this kind of variant. Of course one can do this. It is not that org-cite can't provide it, it is that it doesn't at this time. Even so, it is only a partial solution to deprecating org-ref.

You can already use `.bib' files, and so frankly I cannot myself see the point in
org-ref’s existence beyond bifurcating the community on this. At this point the
only remaining motivation I see is old documents and current users, and for this
a migration tool seems more appropriate.

I don’t mean to be overly critical, however this is my current honest assessment
of the situation.

All the best,
Timothy