Re: ox-publish: Some starting problems

From: chris
Subject: Re: ox-publish: Some starting problems
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2022 20:21:12 +0100

Hi Christian,

I've received the following in my personal email box, and I think it is related to this thread, so I paste it here:

On Thursday, 10 March 2022 06:54:22 CET c.buhtz@posteo.jp wrote:

> Hello together,

> I do not understand all details. But it seems to me that currently

> ox-publish is not fully capable to generate a linked together HTML

> files out of org-roam-v2 generated org files because of the ID-linking

> of org-roam-v2.

> In my tests it sometimes work and sometimes not. I was not able to

> reproduce this. While writing to the list about that problem I was

> pointed to that bug report here.

> Kind

> Christian

And I think that I understand the question, and the general setting related to it.

So, on the one hand you have `org-mode/org-id` links like `[[id:32ba80a3-1982-4f43-becb-b0e346a91b0d][hello]]`, which seem the thing to do in the 21st century, the most sensible thing to do IMO, I only use those, `org-roam` only use those.

When with `emacs` the links are followed/resolved through a database. For example, the database can be updated through functions like `org-id-update-id-locations`, part of https://github.com/tkf/org-mode/blob/master/lisp/org-id.el.

However the use of them is controversial because some deem them as not human friendly enough. So I suppose guidelines should be defined for anything to happen, but I'm not sure people would agree on what to do. And internal ID links, resolved locally through reading in a database, should be thoroughly translated to something accurate and consistent at export-time, and that seems a lot.

I myself use `org-roam` and `ID`; considering the difficulties of exporting to html through emacs/org-mode, I just gave up.

Thanks,

Chris

PS: I think you are doing an awesome job at trying to have all that working.