Re: Communication problems and possible problems with the website

From: Russell Adams
Subject: Re: Communication problems and possible problems with the website
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 16:08:56 +0100

On Fri, Feb 25, 2022 at 02:24:53PM +0000, c.buhtz@posteo.jp wrote:
> Dear Ihor
>
> Am 25.02.2022 15:18 schrieb Ihor Radchenko:
> > Org has no official GitHub page. This is partially a requirement from
> > Free Software Foundation:
> > https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#References
>
> I totally and absolute support that FSF requirement.
>
> In that case I would say org-mode does violate that requirement because
> there is a GitHub and a PayPal link on the landing page.

Those are links to supporting our maintainers. Not a project repo.

> And on the Worg page (which is "official" from the new users point
> of view) there is also a GitHub link.  It does not matter that there
> is not code on GitHub and that this is only for
> sponsoring/donations. You have the link and the logo so you
> "promote" that stuff that the FSF do not want you to promote.

I think that's a bit hazy, as they are services and not software. The
standards specify not to promote non-free software. While I don't like
Github at all, in this context it's only for the sponsorship
solution. That's a service like Paypal.

I'm not sure what a clear answer is here. I don't like having any
mention of Github and non-free services myself, but I respect that we
need to support the maintainers and that may require using common
services.