Re: Inserting links stored in `org-store-link-plist`

From: Alejandro Pérez Carballo
Subject: Re: Inserting links stored in `org-store-link-plist`
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 13:11:52 -0800

Thanks for your reply. I can store the ID calling `org-store-link' if
`org-id-link-to-org-use-id' is set to a non-nil value. But I wanted to be able
to have `org-id-link-to-org-use-id' set to nil and also have a function to
store an ID link. (I make use of ID only in certain files and try to avoid them
otherwise, preferring the default method of using a link to the file with a
search string pointing to the current line in most cases.)

I had expected that `org-insert-link' would be able to retrieve links stored
both with `org-store-link' and `org-id-store-link'—it seemed like a natural
assumption, perhaps because I do not know of other reasons for having an
interactive function that stores links aside from being able to insert them
later?  But if the point of `org-id-store-link' is not to supply values for
`org-insert-link', please ignore this.

For now, I've just defined a simple wrapper that temporarily sets the value of
`org-id-link-to-org-use-id' to `use-existing' and calls `org-store-link', and
that works fine.

Thanks again,

Alejandro