Re: [BUG] Prompted to submit (unsure what happened) [9.5.2 (9.5.2-g07252

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Prompted to submit (unsure what happened) [9.5.2 (9.5.2-g072523 @ /Users/apc/.emacs.d/straight/build/org/)]
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2022 21:39:57 +0800

Alejandro Pérez Carballo <apcarballo@gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry about the unclear report. I was indeed _not_ in an org buffer. I do not
> think I was using minibuffer completion, but I cannot remember. I now just
> got a similar error message, this time when working on an Elisp buffer. The
> error message says:
>
> Warning (org-element-cache): org-element--cache: Org parser error in
> setup-biblio.el::5918. Resetting.
>  The error was: (error "rx ‘**’ range error")
>  Backtrace:
> "  backtrace-to-string(nil)
>   org-element-at-point()
>   org-in-src-block-p()
>   run-hook-with-args-until-success(org-in-src-block-p)
>   electric-quote-post-self-insert-function()
>   self-insert-command(1 34)
>   funcall-interactively(self-insert-command 1 34)
>   call-interactively(self-insert-command nil nil)
>   command-execute(self-insert-command)
> "

Thanks for the backtrace! It is very clear that something in
electric-quote-mode-hook (or maybe in electric-quote-inhibit-functions)
is calling org-in-src-block-p.

org-in-src-block-p does not work outside Org mode. It used to (at least,
it did not throw an error), but it is not the case anymore and it was
never guaranteed that Org functions can reliably work outside Org mode.

I do not see explicit customisation adding org-in-src-block-p in your
config from the first email. I presume that some third-party package is
adding org-in-src-block-p to electric-quote-mode. I would first try to
check the values of electric-quote-inhibit-functions and
electric-quote-mode-hook and check if they contain org-* staff. Then, I
would bisect the config to find out which package is doing it. What you
are seeing is a bug in that package and should be reported.

Best,
Ihor