Re: LaTeX letters in Org

From: Alan E. Davis
Subject: Re: LaTeX letters in Org
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 10:59:00 -0800

I had a set of three capture templates for memos, a number of years ago.  It was very convenient.  A letter is usually pretty much the same thing.  I don't even know whether I have the original templates around anymore; it should be pretty easy to implement.  IMHO, easier than dealing with all of the header materials you are describing.  I think, anyway.

Two files were invoked: a header and a tail.  Then there were capture template interactively filled addressee and whatever else.  One had a letterhead.  It was, admittedly, a kludge.  A kludge that worked and saved a lot of time.   For memos it's maybe more sensible, as they are quick one-offs, for the most part.

Alan Davis

On Fri, Feb 18, 2022 at 9:03 AM Michael Eliachevitch <m.eliachevitch@posteo.de> wrote:
Hi Arne,

> Alternatively add a capture-template that creates a letter. Then M-x
> org-capture L (or such) would create a new letter prefilled with
> everything you typically need.

Thanks, weird I didn't think of it. Capture templates are awesome and powerful. Mostly I use them for some tasks, notes and journalling-type entries, not for long-form writing. But as a letters are usually short and writting in one session, capture-templates seem a good fit.

Cheers, Michael

--
Michael Eliachevitch
Public PGP Key: https://keyoxide.org/hkp/546908c782383ad0e7d894ec1b8f95c8125dce31

--
      "As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously."   ---Benjamin Franklin

      "This ignorance about the limits of the earth's ability to absorb
       pollutants should be reason enough for caution in the release
       of polluting substances."
                   ---Meadows et al.   1972.  Limits to Growth.      (p. 81)