Re: Unable to get current or via use-package

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Unable to get current or via use-package
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 17:01:31 +0800

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

>> Is that necessary?  Can't I just use the package manager to update Org
>> along with any other packages?  Or does the issue about not visiting and
>> .org file before installing via the package manager apply to updates
>> too?
>>

> Even with updates, it is still important that no existing org
> functionality has been loaded to avoid potential inconsistencies due to
> mixed version installation. For updates within the same version (i.e.
> bug fix updates), the risk is low, but may still result in an
> inconsistent build.

It looks like there was an attempt to fix mixed compilation issue in
package.el See
https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=c13baa10d55ec863d3ceaea48c6b2959ece98198
and https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=10125

If I understand that thread correctly, package.el should not have issues
with mixed compilation. Not so sure about straight.el and certainly it
will not solve the problem when part of built-in Org is loaded before
the newer Org version is added to the load-path.

Best,
Ihor