Re: cut and paste not working after xdg-open "org-protocol://store-link?

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: cut and paste not working after xdg-open "org-protocol://store-link?url=URL&title=TITLE"
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 23:29:28 +0700

On 31/01/2022 08:14, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
chris writes:

I am not using Wayland. However, if I just do (kill-new "test") in X and
my select-enable-primary is nil (default) - "test" will not go to my X
clipboard. It is the default behaviour of Emacs in X that has nothing to
do with Org mode.

Ihor, please, do not add more confusion to this obscure issue. `select-enable-primary' controls PRIMARY selection, not CLIPBOARD. `select-enable-clipboard' is an independent variable.

Chris, did you tune clipboard manager in KDE? This kind of software may cause quite peculiar behavior...

So, do not confuse PRIMARY selection and CLIPBOARD. Unlike MS Windows, X11 has several selection (and legacy cut buffers). I do not know the full story, but it seems that wayland developers decided that it is more secure to have just clipboard, but they did not sustain pressure of users who really like that "hard to discover feature": just select some
text with mouse without additional hotkeys and paste it using middle click.

Ububntu-21.10 impish, gnome, wayland, Emacs-27.1. I am aware that KDE may have rather different implementation related to wayland protocol and something may change in Emacs since the released version. I just have VM with such configuration.

New session, empty selection and clipboard:
$ wl-paste --list-types
No selection
$ wl-paste --primary --list-types
No selection

Select a word in terminal using mouse:
$ wl-paste --primary --list-types
text/plain
text/plain;charset=utf-8
STRING
TEXT
COMPOUND_TEXT
UTF8_STRING
$ wl-paste --list-types
No selection

[Ctrl+Shift+V] to copy selection to clipboard
$ wl-paste --primary --list-types
text/plain
text/plain;charset=utf-8
STRING
TEXT
COMPOUND_TEXT
UTF8_STRING
$ wl-paste --list-types
text/plain
text/plain;charset=utf-8
STRING
TEXT
COMPOUND_TEXT
UTF8_STRING

Let's copy some text from Firefox and then select another text
but do not copy it:
$ wl-paste
Copy from Firefox
$ wl-paste --primary
Just select in Firefox

So paste and insert using middle click are not synchronized now.

Execute the following in Emacs:
(kill-new "kill-new from Emacs")

CLIPBOARD is changed, PRIMARY selection is not, it can be tuned in Emacs settings. I like the default ones.
$ wl-paste
kill-new from Emacs
$ wl-paste --primary
Just select in Firefox