Re: cut and paste not working after xdg-open "org-protocol://store-link?

From: chris
Subject: Re: cut and paste not working after xdg-open "org-protocol://store-link?url=URL&title=TITLE"
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2022 19:38:03 +0100

On Sunday, 30 January 2022 04:36:01 CET Ihor Radchenko wrote:

> chris <inkbottle007@gmail.com> writes:

> > 3- if you do `C-y` you can see the URL is in the kill-ring

> > But obviously there is no reason for this URL to be also in the Wayland

> > (or

> > x11) clipboard? (there is no law of nature saying that what is in emacs

> > kill- ring must necessarily also be in wayland clipboard. I think there

> > is a law of nature for the other way around though)

> > In any case, in the case of Kde/Kwin/Wayland, it is not copied in the

> > Wayland clipboard.

> > Maybe it's in the description of org-protocol/store-link that the URL

> > should be copied in emacs kill-ring, in any case, it is.

> > But no it doesn't show in the kde/wayland clipboard (and why would it).

> I am not 100% sure if I understand your message clearly. However, just

> letting you know about existence of the following Emacs customisations:

It is, only, in conjunction with `org-protocol`, that kill-ring and Wayland-clipboard get out of sync.

Not in some general case. General case is fine.

But in the case of org-protocol, as described in the original post and not present in the excerpt you quoted, they do get out of sync.

To summarize again there are two things that are happening:

After doing `xdg-open "org-protocol://store-link?url="">

The string "URL" is pushed into Emacs kill-ring.

But, this very string "URL", is not inserted into Wayland clipboard.

That was the first thing, string pushed into kill-ring, but not pushed simultaneously, into Wayland clipboard.

Now second thing: from that point onward, the other way around is broken. (And that is the part that is really annoying.)

[Then] I mouse-select a string in Firefox, or any application not Emacs. I verify the string is indeed in Wayland clipboard, I paste it in Firefox, or in the terminal (not Emacs).

Now I do `C-y`: this later string is not pasted, even though it should have been. I do `M-y` to see if I can find the string in the kill-ring: I can't find the string in the kill-ring.

What, instead, is the string at the top of Emacs kill-ring: the string "URL" (from the initial org-protocol action).

So Emacs has now stopped inserting strings from Wayland-clipboard into Emacs kill-ring.

No matter how hard I try.

The labor-intensive workaround:

Now what I do is copy a string inside Emacs using `C-w`.

Then, I verify if I can past it in Firefox: I can. It really is in Wayland clipboard.

Now I copy a string from Firefox into Emacs: it is not broken anymore, until the next time I use org-protocol, at which point it gets broken again.

And now it really is also present in Emacs kill-ring.