Re: Read only org view mode

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: Read only org view mode
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 07:20:53 +0100

On 2022-01-23, at 08:19, Arthur Miller <arthur.miller@live.com> wrote:

> Hi mailing list,
>
> is something like this of interest to add to org-mode?

Yes! Yes! Yes!

I can see all sorts of stuff going from here.  Three examples follow.

1. I have a daily journal in Org-mode, and I wrote a simple function
showing me "what happened on this day in all previous years of
journaling".  Making that read-only, with view-mode-like bindings is an
obvious thing to do.  (In fact, I plan to blog about that function
soon.)

2. I imagine this could be used to create menus, a bit like Magit, with
toggleable sections etc.

3. I once coded myself a kind of "dashboard", showing various things in
(almost) real time - think current time, weather, departures of busses
from a nearby bus stop, Emacs uptime, number of open buffers, a todo
list for today etc.  (Sadly, I didn't finish it, though.)  A mode
derived from your mode could be great for that.

Thanks a lot for working on this,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl