Playing down the text in org-mode

From: fatiparty
Subject: Playing down the text in org-mode
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 20:15:07 +0100 (CET)

Jan 14, 2022, 06:50 by maciaschain@posteo.net:

> Hi,
>
> fatiparty--- via "General discussions about Org-mode." writes:
>
>> Is there anything to perform the opposite, playing down the text?
>>

> Are you referring to nested emphasis, something like in LaTeX
>
> \emph{foo \emph{bar} baz}
>
> = foo...baz in italic; bar in normal font?
>
> Best regards,
> Juan Manuel

I am referring to an org file.  Suppose I have a file doc.org

cat doc.org

a  celebration that started in the 4th Century [IV] in the Southern Levant
 [ _a geographical region that corresponds to present-day Israel and Palestine_
].

org-mode in emacs will emphasize by underlining geographical detail.  I would
like
to have a way to play down the text rather than emphasizing the text.  It would
be
beneficial to have other bracketing characters for doing the opposite of
emphasizing.