Re: A simple Lua filter for Pandoc

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: A simple Lua filter for Pandoc
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2022 21:29:33 +0700

On 06/01/2022 00:08, Juan Manuel Macías wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

It seems, lightweight markup is more annoyance than advantage for you.
Tom posted some thoughts on more rigorous syntax in the following message:

It's generally the opposite: working in Org is a pleasant journey for
me... except when there are dozens of "/" and "*" in a document, and
they placed in 'unhappy' positions. For example, in phonetics the
"/ ... /" notation is used a lot, and there may be cases like:

#+begin_example
/foo/ /bar/ /baz/
#+end_example

Unless you were seeking for a lightweight markup I would remind you about macro:

/{{{ph(foo)}}} {{{ph(bar)}}} {{{ph(baz)}}}/

Form my point of view it is not worse than "\slash{}" entities.

LISP can bee easily transformed to a domain specific language by means of LISP macros (it is its strong and weak side simultaneously). I am unaware whether a comparable framework exists for creating custom lightweight markups. In LaTeX for your examples I expect something like \phonetic{foo} commands to have logical markup. Certainly with some hints /foo/ in particular part of text might be considered as "phonetic" rather than "italic" in intermediate representation keeping source easily readable.

https://i.imgur.com/f6X7qLs.png

In this example there is no need to replace "<" by entity since it can not be confused with <http://te.st/> links.