Re: A simple Lua filter for Pandoc

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: A simple Lua filter for Pandoc
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2022 17:08:18 +0000

Max Nikulin writes:

> It seems, lightweight markup is more annoyance than advantage for you.
> Tom posted some thoughts on more rigorous syntax in the following message:

It's generally the opposite: working in Org is a pleasant journey for
me... except when there are dozens of "/" and "*" in a document, and
they placed in 'unhappy' positions. For example, in phonetics the
"/ ... /" notation is used a lot, and there may be cases like:

#+begin_example
/foo/ /bar/ /baz/
#+end_example

In grammar the asterisk is also used a lot, to designate that a term is
not attested or to indicate that it is ungrammatical:

#+begin_example
*foo *bar *baz
#+end_example

And we can even have the combination of both:

#+begin_example
/*foo/ /*bar/ /*baz/
#+end_example

And in certain cases, they are usually expressed in italics. With these
landscapes, it's worth having a few entities rather than working from
pure LaTeX, which is more accurate, but horribly more verbose.

This is a page from a book I typesetted a couple of years ago (when the
pandemic started), entirely from Org:

https://i.imgur.com/f6X7qLs.png

Best regards,

Juan Manuel