Re: [BUG] Underlined text in parentheses is not exported correctly

From: Juan Manuel Macías
Subject: Re: [BUG] Underlined text in parentheses is not exported correctly
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2021 11:31:53 +0000

Ihor Radchenko writes:

> I am not sure if  it is an actual issue.
>
> Note that (_u can be interpreted as a subscript.
> Org prioritises subscript over underline.
>
> Looking at the code:
>
> (?_ (or (and (memq 'subscript restriction)
>          (org-element-subscript-parser))
>       (and (memq 'underline restriction)
>          (org-element-underline-parser))))
>
> The priority appears to be intentional.

I see. But then the compatibility with the rest of the emphasis is
broken. I mean, the user would expect things like (_underline_) will be
exported as (\uline{underline}), in the same way that (/emphasis/) is
exported as (\emph{emphasis}). I would say there is a slight
inconsistency in the syntax here.

Anyway, in my case I have solved it by always forcing the
super/sub-scripts with brackets overriding `org-element-subscript-parser'
(I never use them without brackets), as I mentioned in my previous
message.

Best regards,

Juan Manuel