Re: tab at beginning of line does not indent any more

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: tab at beginning of line does not indent any more
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2021 15:52:34 +0000

On Mon, Dec 27 2021, Mandar Mitra wrote:

> I have org 20210929 installed.
>
> With emacs -Q and (package-initialize) evaluted in the *scratch*
> buffer, I see the following change in behaviour:
>
> * ABCD
> <type tab here at beginning of line; nothing happens>
>

> I'm fairly sure that, before the last upgrade, I used to get
>
> * ABCD
>   <typing tab at beginning of line indents the line and brings it to under A>
>

> Have other users observed this? Are you bothered by it? Is this a bug
> or a feature? Note I'm running with emacs -Q for the above, but I get
> the same behaviour with org-cycle-emulate-tab set to t or white. The
> information I found on the net seems to pertain to much older
> versions.

i was surprised by this (new?) behaviour too.  in my case, i "fixed" it
with

      (setq org-adapt-indentation t)

if memory serves, i found about this variable in the info manual.

hope this helps,
jao
--
In this world, there are only two tragedies.  One is not getting
what one wants, and the other is getting it. - Oscar Wilde