Re: format/fill of text in a cell in tables

From: Uwe Brauer
Subject: Re: format/fill of text in a cell in tables
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2021 08:27:40 +0100

> Ihor Radchenko <yantar92@gmail.com> writes:

> I agree. This is actually a much harder problem to solve than it may
> appear on the surface. There have been a number of proposals regarding
> how to do this over the years, but unfortunately, they have all had
> significant drawbacks or limitations. One of which is that formatting
> tables with multiple lines in LaTeX is actually a bit tricky (probably
> the only exporter where it is relatively straight-forward is HTML). This
> means you actually have two broad problems - handling cell wrapping in
> the org buffers and handling it cleanly in the different exporters.

Actually there is a, non official, odt exporter which allows you, use
lists that are then converted to odt tables, in which the cells a nicely
filled and formatted. It also allows more complex, nested tables.

On the org-mode only side there is list-cruncher that also converts lists
to org tables, so you can, somehow «avoid» the filling issue when you
type, but I have also to add that the resulting cells in the tables are
not really filled.

I think, one attempt could be to use org-edit-special, to edit a cell,
type the text in a temporary buffer, fill it and then return to the table.

That seems so obvious that I think there might be technical problems,
because otherwise it would have been implemented already.