Re: org-persist

From: Lele Gaifax
Subject: Re: org-persist
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 22:05:07 +0100

Hi,

>> I had originally set org-element-use-cache to nil because I remember
>> reading somewhere that the nil setting would help prevent emacs from
>> hanging in org-mode.
>
> The cache code has been refactored. I tried my best to fix all the bugs
> causing the hangs and I am not seeing hangs anymore. That's why I took a
> risk to enable cache by default on main.

today I spent the required time to investigate on one issue I had with my
Doom-based profile, that uses the "master" version of Orgmode, and found it
related to the org-persist functionality.

Basically since some time ago, quitting Emacs I was sometime prompted for a
password, some other time it took a considerable time to close the instance.

Digging down, I found that it was due to the persistent cache, that contained
several entries about remote (Tramp) documents: upon closing Emacs, the
org-persist-gc function is triggered, and the index is traversed to remove
dangling entries, performing a file-exist-p on each filename. For remote
files, that obviously mean prompting for the remote password (when the
ssh-agent does not carry it) or spending a considerable time in the network
round trip.

I wonder if there is some mechanism I could use to either prevent caching of
non-local documents or to avoid the check on existence in the org-persist-gc.

Thanks for any hint,
bye, lele.
lele@metapensiero.it  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.