Re: Concrete suggestions to improve Org mode third-party integration ::

From: Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide
Subject: Re: Concrete suggestions to improve Org mode third-party integration :: an afterthought following Karl Voit's Orgdown proposal
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2021 07:08:23 +0100

Tim Cross <theophilusx@gmail.com> writes:

> "Dr. Arne Babenhauserheide" <arne_bab@web.de> writes:
>> The change to electric indent broke my workflow badly (always having to
>> undo the indentation after every new headline), and it took long until I
>> found out how to avoid that.
> environment. While this change may have 'broken' your workflow, the
> previous behaviour was breaking other users workflows because org did
> not honour electric-indent-mode and was not consistent with other core
> emacs modes.

This stretches the definition of workflow. Other users had a less
consistent workflow, but since orgmode had never done electric indent,
they did not have a workflow requiring electric indent in org which
could be broken by the existing behaviour.

This is rather an example where going for consistency over stability
creates problems.

(but still: that happened once; emacs is not perfectly stable, but when
staying close to vanilla, it is mostly stable)

Best wishes,
Arne
--
Unpolitisch sein