Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup

From: Denis Maier
Subject: Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2021 12:01:16 +0100

Hi Tom

Am 04.12.2021 um 18:53 schrieb Tom Gillespie:
Hi all,
     After a bunch of rambling (see below if interested), I think I have
a solution that should work for everyone. The key realization is that
what we really want is the ability to have a "parse me separately"
type of syntax. This meets the intra-word syntax needs and might
meet some other needs as well.

The solution is to make @@org:...@@ "parse me separately"
block! It nearly works that way already too! To minimize typing
we could have @@:...@@ the empty type default to org.

This seems like a winner to me. The syntax for it already exists
and won't conflict. It requires relatively minimal additional typing
the implication is clear, and there are other places where such
behavior could be useful.

This syntax seems like a winner to me
@@org:/hello/@@world
@@:/hello/@@world

You can also do things like
#+begin_src org
I want a number in this number@@org:src_elisp{(+ 1 2)}@@word!
#+end_src

Which would render to
#+begin_src org
I want a number in this number3word!
#+end_src

Thoughts?

Best!
Tom

Thanks for the suggestion. I think that sounds like a good idea. Of course not as terse as the asciidoc inspired suggestion, but entirely appropriate for a case like this one! I also like that there might be other cases where case might be handy.

Best,
Denis