Re: quotation marks in table cell vs. org-babel-ref-resolve

From: Tim Cross
Subject: Re: quotation marks in table cell vs. org-babel-ref-resolve
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2021 08:34:16 +1100

Greg Minshall <minshall@umich.edu> writes:

> hi, Tim,
>
>> The key question is what is the use case for having this 'mixed' content
>> in a table cell?
>
> in my case, i am putting RFC822('ish) e-mail addresses in a column of an
> org-mode table.  and, i want to extract them.
> ----
> | oxymoron@example.com                      |
> | Greg Oxymoron <oxymoron@example.com>      |
> | "Greg G. Oxymoron" <oxymoron@example.com> |
> ----
> for the third row returns =Greg G. Oxymoron=, rather than my desired
> ="Greg G. Oxymoron" <oxymoron@example.com>=.
>
> by the way, do you know the use case for the current behavior for
> strings that start with a ="=?  i couldn't find anything in the manual.
>
> i wonder if maybe the existing parameter =inhibit-lisp-eval= (which, in
> the path i am exercising, is non-nil) could also be used to not do the
> check for a ="=?  (maybe that's also a hack, but i think it would solve
> my problem. :)

I don't know. It could be related to the spreadsheet capabilities or it
could simply be an oversight in how the code extracts values from
tables.

I tend to use the function org-table-to-list to extract the data from a
table. It gives me a nested list which I can then process with elisp in
any way I want. I don't know if that would help or how it will interpret
a cell whic contains both quoted and unquoted data.