Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2021 19:48:42 +0700

On 02/12/2021 19:10, Ihor Radchenko wrote:
Denis Maier writes:

Just a furter remark: while zero-width-spaces can be used as a
workaround, they may create problems in some export formats. E.g., they
will mess up hyphenation in latex. I think if read somewhere that those
can be removed with hooks or filters, but I think that shouldn't be
necessary.

Probably, we just need to strip all zero-width spaces at the basic ox.el
level.

I think, legitimate cases when zero-width spaces should be preserved in a document may exist, so unconditionally stripping them is not a perfect solution.

I am afraid, regexps detecting start and end of emphasis are similar to a short blanket. They will always fail for some cases, especially since verbatim, URLs and similar contexts (that significantly differ from prose in respect to punctuation) do not have higher priority for parser.

Extensive test set is required for tuning of heuristics. Failures should be reported in a such way that allows to estimate overall quality before and after change. Ideally, format of file with such tests should allow to use the *same* input data for other tools like ruby-org.