Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org-syntax: Intra-word markup
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 20:00:09 +0800

Juan Manuel Macías <maciaschain@posteo.net> writes:

>> intra-*word* works just fine for me.
>>
> I think what Denis is referring to is a construction of the type
> *intra*word, which, if I'm not mistaken, is not supported and can only
> be achieved by inserting a zero width space.

I see. We had a discussion about emphasis issues in
https://orgmode.org/list/8735nnq73n.fsf@localhost

The conclusion from there is that supporting such scenarios will
introduce various edge cases. We would need to make the emaphsis parser
more and more complex inevitably introducing errors.

An alternative may be some kind of "forced" emphasis syntax where Org
does not have to guess about the emphasis using non-transparent rules.
But it's what zero width space is for and it is what we recommend in the
Org manual.

Best,
Ihor