Re: [ANN] An Org parser for Julia

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [ANN] An Org parser for Julia
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 18:11:32 +0800

Timothy <tecosaur@gmail.com> writes:

> I’ve gone heavily into Julia over the past year, and I recently
> thought it would be nice if an Org parser existed for it — so I made one!
>
> <file:~/.julia/dev/OrgMode/org-mode-wordart-small.png>
> <https://github.com/tecosaur/OrgMode.jl>

I am wondering how the third-party parsers are going to scale for larger
Org files. I did some simple testing in the past, and it seems that only
tree-sitter can potentially get sufficiently close to org-element in
terms of performance. Maybe we should implement a Elisp LSP server
instead of many individual parsers in different languages?

---

tree-sitter vs. org-element on 15M Org file
org-element-parse-buffer
(16.090262757 1 0.7365683609999962)

org-element-parse-buffer 'element granularity
(7.688000744 0 0.0)
8sec

tree-sitter via https://github.com/milisims/tree-sitter-org
parsed down to 58% of the buffer in 5.3sec and exited with error
extrapolates to ~9sec

Racket's brack via https://github.com/tgbugs/laundry
failed to finish parsing in reasonable time. Cancelled at 10m11.436s

Clojure parser via https://github.com/200ok-ch/org-parser
failed to finish parsing with java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit
exceeded
Running time 8m28.078s

Best,
Ihor