Re: Orgdown: negative feedback & attempt of a root-cause analysis

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: Orgdown: negative feedback & attempt of a root-cause analysis
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 11:07:14 +0300

Karl,

thanks for all of this, and for writing and posting your blog entry
(words of caution for many).

my thoughts on your project are something like this:

- i think non-emacs tools to deal with org mode files is a Good Thing.

- for me, the main motivation is to allow *me* to share an org mode
  file with someone -- say via a git repo -- and have them be able to do
  something reasonable, if restricted, with it -- extract the code,
  query subtrees or tables, etc. -- without recourse to emacs.

- i think collaborative editing with non-emacs users should be not be a
  goal of *this* endeavor.

- for me, your main invention, and the place (non pro-versus-con)
  discussion should focus, is on your levels: what's at level 1, at what
  level is org-mode itself, etc.  there are some tricky things here
  (e.g., for tables, what to do with hlines, with column width
  specifications, at the various "conformance levels"?)

- and, sigh, i prefer some other name; like "org mode syntax (level 0)".
  maybe it will acronymize into omsl0 (gasp!).  who knows.  i do think
  "orgdown" was a clever choice, but i'm not a fan.

cheers, Greg