Re: frustrations

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: frustrations
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2021 09:41:36 +0800

Jan Ulrich Hasecke <juh+org-mode@mailbox.org> writes:

> Today I discovered that pamparam does not work anymore with an error
> message mentioned here:
> https://github.com/nobiot/org-transclusion/issues/105

This most likely indicates that some third-party packages you use are
implementing risky Elisp practices known to break Org. The were also a
source of (pretty bad) issues in the past, but Org now shows the warning
explicitly.

If you can hunt down to the problematic package, I advice to report this
as a bug in there. If you think that third-party packages are fine and
Org is the cause, please open a separate thread.

> There are some more issues. Startup time of my emacs is more than 30
> seconds even after optimizing something with esup. I have 10.000+ files
> in my org-roam and fear that I hit some limitation either of org-roam or
> my hardware.

Such problem has been observed a few weeks ago. An update might help.
If not, you can try to set org-element-cache-persistent to nil. It can
theoretically improve loading Org if your hard drive is very slow.

> How do you configure your emacs using current versions like org 9.5 but
> at the same time avoiding problems with incompatible packages or newly
> introduced bugs?

>From straight.el readme:

>> We support :branch, but not :commit or :version-regexp. To lock a package to
>> a specific commit, use a lockfile. See also #246 for discussion of
>> extensions to the recipe to support package pinning, which is a planned
>> feature.

Best,
Ihor