Re: Merging ox-texinfo+ into ox-texinfo

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: Merging ox-texinfo+ into ox-texinfo
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2021 13:41:50 +0100

Hello,

Jonas Bernoulli <jonas@bernoul.li> writes:

> Of course.  I probably used the separate keyword because all the entries
> for ox-texinfo's :options-alist did that too, but if that's not how this
> is usually done for booleans, then I see no reason not to change it.

More precisely, there's an historical distinction between string values
and other values (symbols, numbers...). The former is set by keywords,
the latter is obtained with "options". Consequently, all the entries in
ox-texinfo's :options-alist are used to set strings.

> Well... it turned out not to be true, but I should be able to get it to
> work.  The idea is that the new shorthand handling is only used if such
> a shorthand is actually used by the item that is being processed.  All
> other list items should effectively be treated as before, but that isn't
> the case yet.  For now all non-shorthand list items are simply treated
> as @item, but `org-texinfo+-item' could be changed to instead fall back
> to the `org-texinfo-item's default behavior in those cases.  (It would
> still have to check whether it needs to begin and/or end the "item
> container" (itemize/table/...), so it is not completely trivial, but
> should be doable.)

Then I suggest to use "attr_texinfo" keyword, for example:

   #+attr_texinfo: :shorthand t
   - item...

This way, we ensure the change is local. `org-texinfo-item' already
checks :sep attribute.

In this case, there's no need to add a new keyword or extend "options".

> So I have to address the above issue and then we also have to think
> about naming.  I was thinking about using the term "shorthands"; instead
> of "texinfo-deffn:t" we could use "texinfo-shorthands:t".  The functions
> need to be renamed too of course, but IMO simply replacing "ox-texinfo+"
> with "ox-texinfo-shorthand" is quite ugly.  Do you have a suggestion for
> that?  All the new functions could be placed in the "Item" section.

I see no reason to change the prefix, since these functions are part of
ox-texinfo. I didn't look closely at your code, tho, so I may be wide of
the mark.

WDYT?

Regards,
--