Re: [BUG] org-occur doesn't hide unmatching top-levels [9.5 (release_9.5

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] org-occur doesn't hide unmatching top-levels [9.5 (release_9.5-225-g494c20.dirty @ /Users/carlos/Install/Source/org-mode/lisp/)]
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 18:29:43 +0800

Carlos Pita <carlosjosepita2@gmail.com> writes:

> I see no reason why a match inside b2 will hide b1 and b3 but not a
> and c (I'm referring to the headings, not the contents).

I think you misread the docstring for org-show-context-detail:

>> Alist between context and visibility span when **revealing** a ;; <--
>> revealing!
>> location.
>>
>> Some actions may move point into invisible
>> locations.  As a consequence, Org always exposes a neighborhood
>> around point.  How much is shown depends on the initial action,
>> or context.

This variable does not control how much text is hidden, but rather how
much context is revealed around a folded text.

Your misunderstanding may come from the fact that you are interested in
org-occur, which first folds everything inside lowest-level headings.

Consider agenda views. The relevant default value in
org-show-context-detail is (agenda . local). If you press <RET> on an
agenda entry which is located _inside folded subtree_, only the headline
will be revealed. However, if e.g. the headline and it's siblings are
already revealed, org-show-context-detail will not cause siblings to be
hidden.

Best,
Ihor