Re: execute src block during export (Re: Worg HTML export problem?)

From: Max Nikulin
Subject: Re: execute src block during export (Re: Worg HTML export problem?)
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 19:17:23 +0700

On 12/11/2021 23:55, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
Max Nikulin writes:

On 12/11/2021 00:24, Thomas S. Dye wrote:
The original problem is likely due to the default header arguments in ob-org.el, which are unusual.

It is great that the problem is solved. I do not think however that something inside ob-org.el may affect processing of a file before this package is loaded.

If I export both, then all is well.
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results value none :exports both
  (org-babel-do-load-languages
   'org-babel-load-languages
   '((org . t)))
#+end_src

I feel that I have missed something. I do not see the purpose to include this
source block in user docs. I expect that for accidental usage it is more
convenient to type (require 'ob-org), while as a permanent settings it is
possible to do customize-variable org-babel-load-languages or to use
`add-to-list'.

The source block is included to show the user how to modify their .emacs.

My ~/.emacs.d/init.el has (among other variables)

(custom-set-variables
'(org-babel-load-languages (quote ((emacs-lisp . t) (C . t) (python . t))))
 ;; ...
)

I consider it better since it does not force immediate loading of Org if emacs is launched for a file of different type. Before sending the previous message I forgot to check Org manual. It recommends `org-babel-do-load-language' and it looks more prominent than customizing of the variable, however a more concise example is given a bit below

(require 'ob-closure)

Additional feature of `org-babel-do-load-language' is that the function can "unload" some languages, however it is not the case for initialization. That is why I disputed recommending more complicated example with `org-babel-do-load-language'. It is matter of taste however even if current example has no less obvious advantages.

I was surprised that changing its :results header argument had an effect on export.

Do you have an explanation why the header argument makes this difference on Worg?

Worg build procedure is more close to defaults. Earlier I wrote that the issue can be reproduced locally using "emacs -Q".

Actually it is reasonable that without explicit request, source blocks are not executed during export. `org-babel-default-header-args' has (:exports . "code"), so it is necessary to override default value to execute the source block loading ob-org.

I was confused that build log contains a message related to evaluating of some code ob-doc-sql.org without explicit overriding of :exports. Likely it is caused by noweb option.