Re: S-M-{<UP>,<DOWN>} on CLOCK timestamp

From: Jorge P . de Morais Neto
Subject: Re: S-M-{<UP>,<DOWN>} on CLOCK timestamp
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 11:30:27 -0300

Hello Timothy, Tim, everyone!  I apologize for the delay and (finally)
reply below:

Em [2021-09-25 sáb 08:22:43+1000], Tim Cross escreveu:

> I'm now confused over this bug report. Originally, two similar bugs
> were reported at the same time.  I was able to confirm one and not the
> other.  The added instructions seem to be a hybrid of the two bug
> reports, so I'm now confused and not sure on what was the precise bug
> for the second report.  Based on what I *think* was the second bug, I
> cannot reproduce it, but I have little confidence in that.

My (English) writing skills seem to be failing me, so I made an animation
with the gif-screencast package:

GIF image

A textual description:

1. Begin with an empty Org Mode buffer
2. Create a heading "Task A"
3. Clock in
4. Open the LOGBOOK drawer
5. Adjust the clock in timestamp with S-<down> on the MM (minutes) part
   so it ends with 0 (that is, it is a multiple of 10).  You may have to
   press S-<down> multiple times.
6. Clock out
7. Adjust the clock out timestamp with S-<down> on the MM (minutes) part
   so it ends with 5 (so it is a multiple of 5 but not of 10) and is
   larger than the clock in timestamp.  Again, you may have to press
   S-<down> multiple times.
8. Create another heading (with C-<return>): "Task B"
9. Clock into Task B
10. Open Task B LOGBOOK drawer
11. Clock out
12. Check if Task B clock in timestamp is not a multiple of 5.  In the
    animation I was lucky, it already wasn't a multiple of 5¹.
13. Finally, adjust Task B's clock in timestamp with M-S-<down> on the
    MM (minutes) part.  Bug!

The bug is that M-S-<down> adjusts Task B clock in timestamp by x
minutes and Task A clock out timestamp by 5 minutes, where x (in our
case, x is 4) is not 5.  And in my opinion, Task A clock out timestamp
*should not change at all* because it was already less then the adjusted
Task B clock in timestamp.

For convenience I generated the animation from my fully configured
Emacs, but I have verified it also occurs on Emacs -Q.  My Emacs was
compiled and installed via Guix from the emacs-28 branch.  I currently
use the native comp feature (via flatwhatson's Guix channel) but I
previously reproduced the bug on vanilla Guix's emacs-next (only
compiled with --with-branch=emacs-next=emacs-28).

Regards!

PS: Have I violated netiquette by directly attaching the animation?  I
judged it was OK because the file is only 406kB.

¹ If Task B clock in timestamp was a multiple of 5 then we would have to
adjust it with S-<down> with a numeric prefix argument (that itself must
not be a multiple of 5), taking care to keep it larger than Task A clock
out timestamp.

--
- Many people hate injustice but few check the facts.  This provokes
  misinformation.  Ask me about <https://stallmansupport.org>