Re: [BUG] Org V 9.5 error when ~/.cache doesn't exist

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: [BUG] Org V 9.5 error when ~/.cache doesn't exist
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2021 18:55:53 +0800

> Ihor, your fix affects linux as well. .cache directory may be missed in
> fresh accounts. E.g. I just have created a new test container (my old
> one has emacs-25):

After second thought, I am not sure anymore if using XDG is a good idea.
Emacs itself only recently started supporting XDG and the support is
somewhat limited. Similar to the described case with non-existing .cache
directory, Emacs ignores non-existing .config/emacs folder for init.el.
Emacs never creates .config directory.

So, I can see several options for Org:
1. Just move to back usual usage of user-emacs-directory and store the
   cache there
2. Use the same approach with Emacs: if $XDG_CACHE_DIR/org-persist
   exists and user-emacs-directory/org-persist does not, use the XDG
   dir. Otherwise fall back to user-emacs-directory
3. Same as 2, but only require existing $XDG_CACHE_DIR and create
   $XDG_CACHE_DIR/org-persist dir if possible.
4. Same as 3, but create $XDG_CACHE_DIR if possible. It is similar to
   other XDG-complient software (at least, that's what I saw in
   qutebrowser code).

WDYT?

Best,
Ihor